It’s been some time since I blogged – I thought I’d have more time once I finished a few major projects, but it turns out that to finish major projects you actually have to work at them.
So, here I am, unfinished, under blogged and overwhelmed.
I’m very happy to be participating in the Community Network Meme this year! Thanks to Tom from Morning Erection for getting me into this, it’s been great fun.
I’m going to try and see everyone’s and comment this morning but it is a Monday morning here, so forgive me if it’s patchy and delayed 🙂
1. When you were a child what was the hardest or scariest thing in the world (i.e. movie, book, chore, etc.) to you that as an adult is neither hard nor scary?
Going to the toilet in the dark! I used to be really terrified – obviously, now, going to the loo is not a problem. Sort of. Almost always.
(I’ve always had an active imagination!)
It’s not so much the using the toilet in the dark as the flushing and then leaving the room – who knows what’s going to come after you?
Now I’ve said too much. Although, is it any worse than me checking for axe murderers in the back seat of the car at night? oops, right, now I’ve said too much.
2. If you were offered the chance to be a cooking star on a Food Network show, which of these three would you choose for a mentor: Bobby Flay, Giada de Laurentis or Alton Brown?
I’m not terribly familiar with them, but Giada always looks like she’d be good for a laugh 🙂
3. What is your favorite theme offered by your blogging platform that you are not using and what theme do you absolutely hate? Provide links to both along with your explanation.
Okay, I hope I don’t offend anyone but I hate this one:
(I hope I linked that correctly!)
It’s just too busy and I hate the colours and I just don’t like looking at it!
I love this one:
I like how clean and neat it is, I love the structure! I really just like looking at it 🙂
If I had any talent for design though, I’d do my own and it would be full of fantastically fantabulous primary colours.
4. Who is someone from your past that you are sorry you lost track of?
Sadly, there are so many people here. The main one is my best friend from grade 1 – Gisele, I wish like hell I could remember your surname to look you up! I think about you often!
5. What would you take to a deserted island?
I guess it would be cheeky to say a communication device?? Yes? Okay, fine, if you’re going to like that I’d definitely take a knife (and maybe some sunscreen)!
6. If you could get into the mind of anyone (living or dead) and read all their thoughts, whose mind would you choose to raid?
I don’t want to know anyone I actually know’s thoughts – that would end badly for me, I’m sure. I think I would love to find out what Barack Obama is thinking though! That’d be worth a look 🙂
7. What are the entire contents of the top drawer of the table directly next to your side of the bed?
Contraceptive pills, 3D movie glasses, an alice band, The Quest (by Wilbur Smith – in hardcover), a little Angela Daniel jewellery bag (empty), a pair of sparkly earrings and a crumpled up tissue.
8. What is the one thing you have in your dorm, apartment, or house that you never want your parents to find.
My backpack full of bedroom “accessories” *blush blush*
9. Your daughter is having a sleepover for her 12th birthday. Around 8:00 pm a thunderstorm knocks out power. How do you entertain twelve pre-teen girls when all the cell-phone batteries have died?
The same way I was entertained when that happened! Board games by candle light 🙂
10. What aspect/trait about your personality are you most sensitive about (as in, you wouldn’t stand anyone criticizing about this one aspect)?
Oooooh I’m so sensitive about so many things, but I’m usually all right with people criticising – I’ll just cry about it afterwards -but I guess the main thing is my intelligence. I may be many things, but I’d hope stupid isn’t one of them.
11. Mr. Tom Baker has had two previous virtual nude dinner parties. He is now inviting you, his blogger friends to his home for a real nude dinner party. This is not a virtual dinner party; it is the real thing with all expenses paid and the usual five course dinner prepared by him. Will you or will you not be present at said nude party?
I don’t think I could handle it – Sorry Tom, I’m sure your five courses are delicious! I’m all for private nudity but I get all nervy (and not in a good way!) at the thought of everyone else seeing me.
12. What one piece of movie memorabilia from which movie would you love to own? my answer –
Ooooooh tough cookies, I know it’s not a movie but owning a Tardis would be pretty cool. Maybe a Delorean? Wait! One of the Top Gun planes! I’m assuming money is no object here.
13. If literary characters were real and you could interview any one of them, who would it be and what’s the first question you would ask?
Taita from River God (by Wilbur Smith) – the first thing I would ask is how he got there! I realise that Wilbur Smith has come up twice already in these answers, I’m not sure what to say about that, really.
14. If you had to choose a theme song for yourself from only the Classical genre, which song would it be?
Lux Aeterna, by Clint Mansell
15. What is your most quirky habits.
I talk to myself. Constantly. Internal monologue becomes external a lot. Thsi would be fine if I didn’t start laughing at my own silent jokes in public a lot. I shoot for sexy and mysterious, people think I’m weird.
16. When was the last time you took the time to act like a child and what did you do?
I made airplane noises while eating my cereal. Koff *this morning* koff.
17. If there was ever a past relationship, (friend or otherwise), that you could go back and mend, would you? Who would it be with, and why?
No, the only relationships I’ve lost have been lost for a reason.
18. What would you do if all of your followers left comments daily and would be it be too much for you to handle? Would you hire someone to answer comments for you?
I’d probably keep trying until I couldn’t anymore, then I’d start being selective. I wouldn’t ever hire anyone unless the blog became bigger than my daily life and started paying the bills, you know? Which it won’t.
Unless you guys want it to, huh? *wink wink nudge nudge*
19. Do you know how far back your ancestry goes on either side of your family tree? How far?
Oh, no idea! I could find out I guess, but I’d have to go halfway across the world! Although – it was fantastic at age 14 to travel to the US, to Ellis Island and see my grandfather’s name in the book. It was quite emotional – or about as emotional as a 14 year old can handle!
20. If you could compare yourself to anything in the universe, what would you compare yourself to? Why?
– For instance, someone might choose the Phoenix because it’s reborn from its ashes, Someone who derives strength from pain and failures and tries to rise above them all might select the Phoenix.
This is unbelievably difficult, I don’t knooooooooooooooooow. Obviously how I see myself is not quite how others see me? In my head I’m a bit like Ananke – compulsion, necessity, destiny – I feel like I get myself onto a roller coaster and I just can’t stop sometimes.
2012 Community Network Meme Participation List
I Shall Be A Toad
Betwixt And Between
The World According To Sylvia Garza
Lazy Happy Bored Happy Sad
Life With Blondie
The Way I Live Naturally
Ramblings Of An Office Girl
Walking The Labyrinth
Sleep And Salami
Life Of Carbon
Thank you so much Happy Hippie Rose for tagging me, I’m so glad you like my blog!
There’s so much in the blogging community to be inspired by – it’s definitely humbling that I’ve been chosen.
I haven’t had much time to blog this month – June has been all about work and keeping everything together – although, I tend to find if I’m not able to blog that I feel super guilty about not reading the blogs I follow or posting anything new! I’m not sure that blogging was supposed to be an extra stress but my procrastination has made it so!
To answer the questions posed by Happy Hippiehere (Keep the tag moving):
Looking for gratitude gave me the opportunity to see myself and others slightly differently. I don’t know if everyone has this tendency but I sometimes find myself feeling victimised by life in general – sometimes it’s true, sometimes I’m just being pathetic. May reminded me that more often than not I’m luckier than most. I’m healthy, I’m happy, I have great friends, I have a fantastic “life partner”.
Gratitude can be difficult for those who need to get their heads into the right headspace though – sometimes I struggle with that too. If you’re rose-coloured glasses have a layer of poop on them from where life keeps shitting on you it can be hard to clean them off. When I feel like this, I find that I have to make myself laugh. Friends, a drink (it doesn’t have to be alcoholic!), some food, even just a good movie or a novel can get a smile back on my face.
I’ve had days, in the past, where it was far more difficult to get things back together. Food, drink, exercise – they didn’t help. I’m fortunate though, in that I have an excellent support system and consequently I was able to get myself into a more stable mental framework. Even if it wobbles sometimes, that’s also necessary to keep things fresh and strong.
Sleep and Salami: Wow! Yay! My blog got to XXXX number of views!
Boyfriend: That’s amazing! Well done!
Sleep and Salami: Thanks, this is so cool. Ha! I’m such a geek!
Boyfriend: Well, it’s a big achievement for a Sunday.
Sleep and Salami: Not today – ever. That many views since I started.
Boyfriend: Oh. Right.
It felt a little anticlimactic after that.
I’m not as happy as I was about that whole thing now…
I woke up wih a cold this morning, sore throat, headache, blocked nose – the lot. I’m hoping to change that with some time spent relaxing in front of the tv sucking on butter throat lozenges! I had a ton of stuff to do today, but a day without work is necessary because I can’t interact with people if I can’t speak!
- One thing that made me happy – Being able to burrow down and stay in bed until I felt good enough to drag my butt back out and face the real world.
- One thing I’m grateful for – My lovely, lovely boyfriend has taken such good care of me today 🙂
- One thing I did for someone else – Does sharing my large collection of chocolate biscuits count?
- One thing that made me happy – watching crappy tv on the couch all morning!
- One thing I’m grateful for – The gorgeous weather 🙂
- One thing I did for someone else – I took the boyfriend out to dinner in a wonderful, totally delicious italian restaurant. Best ravioli we’ve ever had!
My first fantastic day off and it was lovely – the perfect mix of sleep, television, socialising, sun, cocktails and lots of laughs!
- One thing that made me happy – Watching Disney movies!
- One thing I’m grateful for – Getting home safely after having a really long day
- One thing I did for someone else – Sorted out dinner for everyone 🙂
I had a bit of a long day, with no sleep and a lot of work but it was great to come home and snuggle up on the couch watching movies.